Thursday, January 26, 2012

Bunuelos


My daughter is in a Spanish class in her High School.  Today they had a fiesta, and the students were asked to bring an authentic Mexican dish with a recipe.  So I hit the Internet and started looking.  I of course wanted something I could make without driving 20 miles to the grocery store. My search took me to a hot chocolate type of drink. As I was trying to convince my daughter that she wanted to take this to the fiesta I noticed the Bunuelos. They are eaten typically in the morning with the hot drink as a breakfast.  Mexican Bunuelos are rolled flat and fried, sometimes with a hole in the center, and sometime they are just fried tortillas covered in cinnamon sugar.  These round Bunuelos are more typical of the Columbian variety, however Colombian Bunuelos are not usually sweet.  They are more savory and contain feta cheese.  Since I do not like feta cheese, and prefer the Mexican variety, I combined the 2 and made the sweet Mexican Bunuelos in the easier Colombian method.  It is a little like a deep fried cream puff rolled in cinnamon sugar.  They turned out delicious and my daughter really liked them.  This might be something we make again.


Bunuelos

1C. Water
2 T. Butter or Margarine
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 T. Sugar
1 C. Flour
2 Eggs
Oil
Cinnamon Sugar

Bring water, butter, salt and sugar to a boil. Rapidly stir in all the flour until dough forms a ball.  Remove from heat.  Stir in eggs one at a time.  Dough will appear glossy.  Using a spoon or a cookie scoop (which is what I used) drop dough into hot oil and fry.


Dough will sink, and then as it cooks it will float. 
Leave in the oil until they are a nice shade of brown all over.
Remove from oil and cover with cinnamon sugar. I just put mine into a baggie and shook it up.  This recipe made 15 Bunuelos.

Have you ever had Bunuelos before?  Let me know what you think!  

No comments:

Post a Comment