Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Cake Plate


This past week my husband came home from work with a cake plate for me.  He said that I had admired the plate on a recent trip to a local antique store.  I honestly don't remember the cake plate, but he did, and it would be a shame not to put the plate to use, so I baked a cake. 
 The plate is a light green glass with detail on the pedestal.

I decided to make a Chocolate Cake.  Now I am pretty sure that I get this character trait from my Dad, but I don't usually like homemade cakes.  I much prefer a store bought cake or a cake mix from a box.  I do however have a really good chocolate cake that I make and it is really the only cake I do from scratch.  I have received many compliments on this cake ranging from the delicious flavor, to the density and texture of the cake.  This will be one to add to your recipe box for sure.

Chocolate Cake
2 C. Cold Water
2 C. Sugar
3 C. Flour
2/3 C. Cocoa Powder
3/4 C. Oil
1 tsp. Salt
2 tsp. Vinegar
2 tsp. Vanilla
2 tsp. Baking Soda
2 Eggs

Mix all ingredients in a large batter bowl or mixing bowl. 
This makes 6 1/2 C. of batter.
Generously Grease and Flour a Bundt Cake Pan.
Pour batter into pan and bake at 350* for 1 Hour.
Let cake cool for 10 minutes and run a knife around the edges. 
Flip over onto a cooling rack.
I dusted mine with powdered sugar today. 
If you like a frosting this is delicious with butter cream, or chocolate.  Once again I prefer pre-mixed store bought frosting.  There is a chocolate frosting recipe that I do like a lot and often use it to frost this cake....
like I did on Shelby's last birthday.
This is the frosting recipe I use.

Chocolate Frosting
 1 stick Butter or Margarine
1/2 C. Cocoa
1/4 C. + 2 T. Hot Water
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 (16 oz) pkg. Powdered Sugar

Combine butter, cocoa, water, and vanilla.  Gradually Add Powdered Sugar.  Makes a generous amount of frosting.


I hope you enjoyed this recipe.  Let me know what you think!



No comments:

Post a Comment