Saturday, January 7, 2012

Deep Dish Pizza


Tonight when dinner time rolled around I was REALLY hungry.  I suppose that might have something to do with the fact that I spent the afternoon watching TV shows like "Sandwich Paradise" and "Extreme Pig-Outs".  I really wanted a pan pizza from Pizza Hut, but I decided to cook at home for the following reasons.  1-It is sooo much cheaper to cook at home, 2- The closest Pizza Hut to where I live is 20+ miles away, and 3- I am still in my pajamas. That's right, don't you judge me, we have all had those days where we have done absolutely nothing. In fact today I could barely manage to make pancakes correctly, but that is a story I shared on Facebook, so I will not repeat it here. Anyway my extreme hunger at dinner time led me to create a Deep Dish Meatball and Pepperoni Pizza.  I started by digging out the cast iron.  I don't really like to cook with cast iron, but my husband, who has taste buds that can be compared to the Princess and the Pea story, really likes the way his food tastes when cooked in cast iron, so it is because of him that I actually had these pans.  I pre-heated the oven to 425* and brushed the pans with olive oil.


Using a Pizza Crust recipe from my Better Homes and Gardens cook book I mixed together 3 C. Flour, 1 T. Yeast, 2 T. Sugar,  1/4 tsp. Salt, 2 T. Oil, and 1 C. warm water. I rolled it out into a circle and pressed it into my pans.  Then I poked holes in the crust.  They may be hard to see in this picture
 but trust me, they are there.


Then I mixed a full bag of Italian Style Meatballs (cut into quarters), a bag of Mini Pepperoni pieces, about 4 ounces of pizza sauce and a 4 oz can of tomato sauce.  I put that into the crust.  It looked like this....


I took an 8 oz block of Mozzarella Cheese and grated it, or more like shredded it, and topped the pizza....


Actually I should say Pizzas because I was making 2 of them with this recipe.  So...into the oven they went.


They baked at 425* for 30-35 minutes. 


And we didn't waste any time cutting into these delicious pizzas!


So dinner tonight was delicious! I only wish my photo quality was better
 for you to really see how good this looked. 


Let me know what you think of this recipe and if you tried it!


No comments:

Post a Comment