Saturday, January 14, 2012

Spritz

Have you ever had Spritz cookies?  These little buttery soft cookies are always a big hit around my house.   At Christmas time I make little green Christmas trees like this ~
But other times of the year I just make little cookies like the ones I made today. I have this wonderful old cookie press.  This used to be my Granny's. It came with lots of little shaped molds that you can press the cookie dough through, but admittedly I have only  use the tree and the one I used today.  This is my Granny's press and the shape I used today~
I have actually used that shape as a guide to cut designs in the top of pie crust. Those swirls make a beautiful top on the pie.  I love this cookie press and I am confident that I will never try one of the new fancy ones they make now days.  In fact I have seen another press like this in an antique store and I just might buy it to have a back up - that is how much I love this little kitchen toy.  After you make your spritz dough you fill the press and start putting them on your cookie sheet.  It looks like this~
 These cookies are best with some colored sugar on top.  Today I used red.
 I put it on the cookies before I bake them.
And once they are done cooking they look like this~
The recipe made about 5 dozen cookies and they are super fast to make.  If you ever stumble on a cookie press I highly recommend that you pick it up!  Now, for those of you who do not own a cookie press, you can still give this recipe a try, you can use a cookie stamp, like one of these~
Or you can just make your Spritz like you do a peanut butter cookie and make some marks with a fork or a potato masher (which is what I like to use) I hope you give Spritz a try! I use the recipe (for the most part) from my Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book. Here is what I do~

Spritz

1 1/2 C. Butter or Margarine softened
3 1/2 C. Flour
1 C. Sugar
1 Egg
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Vanilla

Cream together butter, sugar and egg.  If you are adding food coloring to your cookie, then do that now.  Today I did use a little yellow in my cookies. Add baking powder and vanilla and mix.  Add flour and mix.  Fill your cookie press and put your cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet.  If you are using another method then roll your cookies in balls or use a cookie scoop. Sprinkle with colored sugar.  Bake at 375* for 8-10 minutes.   Makes about 5 dozen cookies when using a cookie press.  


Let me know what you think of this recipe and if you gave it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment