Monday, May 7, 2012

Elephant Ears

I think that if I had known how easy these were to make I would have been doing them for a long time.  My daughter needed a food item to bring for a Mexican Fiesta at school.  She had to bring an authentic Mexican food and the recipe.  I don't know if these are authentic but I do remember going into Mexican markets when I lived in Houston, TX and buying elephant ears.  I was glad to find an easy recipe with minimal ingredients.  All it took is Puff Pastry, Sugar, Cinnamon, and Salt. 

Thaw your sheet of Puff Pastry
Mix 2 C. Sugar with desired amount of Cinnamon - I like mine pretty dark so I put in a good Tablespoon or more.  Add 1 tsp. Salt and mix.  Sprinkle 1/4 sugar mix on your rolling surface, place your Puff Pastry on top and and sprinkle 1/4 sugar mix on top of the Puff Pastry.
This has been rolled to an approx 13 inch square. 
 You will use the remaining sugar for the second sheet of Puff Pastry .
Fold the outside edges to the center.
Fold the edges in again to the center.
Fold in half and slice into cookies
Place cut side down on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
Bake at 450* for 6 minutes.  Take out of oven and turn the cookie over.
Return to the oven for an additional 5 minutes. 
 This is a picture at the half way mark.
Cool on a rack and enjoy!
These become more crisp as they cool.  I don't think they should be stored air tight because that would make them soft again.  I have always had these crisp.  Have you ever had Elephant Ears?


No comments:

Post a Comment