Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Beef Enchiladas

My husband mentioned about a week ago that he was hungry for Enchiladas.  It took me a while but I got to them.  He sure was glad today to walk into the house and smell dinner.  This is a super easy casserole enchilada recipe.  I don't roll individual enchiladas.  I find this to be just a good and much easier to make.  I make my own Enchilada Sauce, adapted from a version I found while surfing the Internet on cooksrecipes.com.  You can compare their version to mine.  There is not a lot of difference but just a little.  It is a pretty good recipe and makes about 3C. of sauce.  Because it goes pretty quick I did not take step by step photos of the sauce.  The recipe is: Heat 2 T. Oil in a sauce pan (I used Olive Oil)  Add 2 T. Flour and 2 T.  Chili Powder.  Cook for 1 minute.  Add 2 C. Water, 8 oz. Tomato Sauce, 1/2 tsp. Cumin, 1 tsp. Salt, 1 T. Minced Garlic and 1/4 C. Dehydrated Onion.
Bring to a boil and let simmer for 10 minutes.
While that is simmering brown 1 lb. ground beef with some
 onion and garlic. Drain off the fat once browned.
Once the sauce is done ladle about 1/3 of the sauce
 into the bottom of a 9X13 pan.
Cover with a layer of Tortillas.
Cover with the browned Ground Beef.
Ladle on 1/3 of the Sauce.
Cover with 1 C. Shredded Mozzarella Cheese.
Cover with Tortillas.
Put remaining sauce on top.
Cover with 1 C. Shredded Mozzarella Cheese.
Cover with foil and bake at 350* for about 30 minutes.  While this is cooking you can put together a tossed salad, or some corn or Spanish rice to go along with dinner.  This recipe also works well to make in advance and then cook at meal time - you will just need to increase cooking time to heat the casserole completely through before serving.  And here is the finished product - ready for the table.
Looks good right?  Tell me what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment