Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Cheese Souffle

It has been a while since my last post.  I guess you can say that life has really gotten away from me lately.  I have been pretty busy with the girls and Homecoming,  and doctor appointments.  Shelby has a project going at Church where she is learning to master a skill from a family member.  She has chosen to do 10 hours of cooking with me.  She is choosing the recipes and I will say that she had decided on some harder recipes that require a variety of techniques.  The first one she made was this Cheese Souffle.  I myself have never made a Souffle so this was a first for both of us.  I of course turned to my trusty Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book.
 
Cheese Souffle
 
6 T. Butter
1/2 C. Flour
Dash Cayenne Pepper
1 1/2 C. Milk
3 C. Shredded Cheddar Cheese
(I used a cheddar jack cheese)
6 Egg Yolks
6 Egg Whites
 
First you need to take a strip of tin foil and cut it to the length that will go around a souffle dish.  Fold the foil into thirds and butter the side of the foil that will be on the inside of the dish.  Wrap it around the souffle dish and tape it together like this....
Set the dish aside while you work on your Souffle.
For your cheese sauce melt butter in a medium to large sized sauce pan.  Stir in flour and cayenne pepper.  Add your milk all at once.  Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.  Add the cheese 1 cup at a time stirring until melted. 
Set the cheese sauce aside while you work on the next step.
Separate your egg whites from the yolk.
Beat the egg yolks with a fork and then slowly combine the cheese sauce with the yolks stirring constantly.  Once combined set the cheese sauce aside while you work on the next step.  Beat your egg whites in a bowl until stiff peaks form...The tips will be standing up straight.
Gently fold about 2 C. of the stiff egg whites into the cheese sauce.
Gradually combine the remaining egg whites and cheese sauce together folding to combine.  Pour entire mixture into your ungreased souffle dish that you prepared with foil earlier.  Bake at 350* for about 50 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.  Be kind to your souffle and don't make a lot of heavy movements in the kitchen....
you don't want it to fall!
Traditionally you would place 2 forks in the center of the souffle and pull it apart to serve....but we just took a spoon and scooped it out.  To me it tasted like cheesy scrambled eggs.  I learned that I didn't see what all the fuss was about as far as a Souffle is concerned, and Shelby learned that she really does not like to cook too much!  I will say that for someone who does not like to cook she made
a perfect looking souffle!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment