Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Banana Bread

 
The local store where I live sells over ripe bananas for .10 cents a pound.
Who can resist that?  I bought 5 bananas for .45 cents.
I have found that the blacker the outside the better it is. The bananas that are just complete mush inside give the strongest banana flavor to the bread.  If your banana bread does not taste very strong in banana flavor you are probably using bananas that are not over ripe enough.  I like to use the basic recipe in my trusty Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book.  Usually about 5 bananas will give me 2 C. mashed Bananas.  Just peel them and use a mixer on them on high speed.
 
To your 2 C. bananas add:
3 1/2 C. Flour
1 1/3 C. Sugar
4 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
2/3 C. Shortening
(you can use Butter or Margarine instead of Shortening)
1/4 C. Milk
4 Eggs
1 C. Chopped Walnuts if desired
(I love walnuts in my banana bread but since I didn't have any today these loaves are plain...which makes my family happy!)
 
Mix all your ingredients together with a mixer.
If using nuts leave them out until the batter is mixed
and then fold them in at the end.
Pour into 2 loaf pans.  I like to grease my pans just on the bottom and half way up the sides.  When making a quick bread like Banana Bread I do not use a spray in my pan. I actually rub shortening in the pans. 
 I find it works better for me.
Bake at 350* for 60 - 70 minutes.
Bread is done when a toothpick comes out clean.
Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes.  Set your timer.  This works for me every time.  If you let it cool for only 10 minutes and then run a knife around the edge and turn it out it will come out perfect every time.
 
Once the bread is cool you can slice it.  I will admit that I could not wait.  I sliced (and ate) it warm and it was so moist and delicious!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment