Sunday, August 12, 2012

Toffee

Well I needed a quick snack to make for my husband to take to a church meeting.  It was just travel snacks for him and whoever he was carpooling with.  I thought this was pretty fast and I had not made it in a long time ... I failed to realize that it needed more cool down time than it got so it is most likely a messy snack for them ... but for us here at home it is fine.  I got this recipe years ago from my sister in law and I am not sure where she got it from.  It's super simple and pretty quick. 
 I made mine in a cookie sheet even though
 the recipe calls for a 9X13 pan. 

Toffee
saltine crackers
1C. Butter
1C. Brown Sugar
1 bag Chocolate Chips


Cover your pan with foil and put a layer of saltine crackers on the pan
In a heavy pan combine butter and sugar and bring to a boil
Boil for 5 minutes
Pour over saltine crackers
Use a rubber spatula to spread the toffee where necessary
Bake at 400* for 7 minutes
Sprinkle chocolate chips over the hot toffee.  I use mini chocolate chips but whatever you have in your supply is fine.  Let the chips sit on the toffee for 1-2 minutes until they are soft and spreadable
Using an offset spatula spread the chips over the top.  If you are not familiar with what an offset spatula is I have a picture here to show you.
Cool completely. I like to cool it in the fridge to start and then the freezer once it is not too hot to put in the freezer.  Leave it in there for at least an hour.  Score the top of the toffee with a knife and flip the toffee over and peal off the foil.  If your toffee is cold and hard then the foil will peel off easily. 
With the score marks in the toffee it will break easily into pieces.
I was able to get 40 squares out of this toffee.
This may not be the most fancy toffee .... and possible not the best you have ever eaten, but it is easy toffee on a budget
 and its not bad if you are in a hurry!


No comments:

Post a Comment