Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Lime Bars

Tonight we are going to watch the Hunger Games.  We saw it in the theater but now that it is out on DVD and Pay Preview we are going to watch it again.  It was such a good movie.  I decided to make a treat for the family to enjoy while we watched.  We don't eat a lot of lemon flavored things but we do like lime so this is a twist on a calssic lemon bar.  I will tell you they are a hit when I bring them to functions!
 
 
Lime Bars
 
Crust:  2/3 C. Margarine
1/2 C. Sugar
2 C. Flour
 
Filling: 1 1/2 C. Sugar
4 Eggs
4 T. Flour
6 T. Lime Juice
1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
Green Food Coloring
 
Topping: Powdered Sugar
 
Combing the crust ingredients and mix together to a crumbly consistency.
Dump into an ungreased 13x9x2 pan and pat down
 evenly to form crust.
Bake at 350* for 15 minutes.
While crust is cooking combine filling ingredients and blend with a mixer.  I use green food coloring to make my bars look like a lime flavored bar - it is not necessary but I like my food to look like what it tastes like.  You can use as much or as little food coloring as you would like.  Once the crust is done baking immdeiately
 pour the filling over the crust.
Bake at 350* for 25 - 30 minutes. 
As soon as you take it out of the oven sprinkle powdered sugar
all over the top of the bars.
Cool completely and cut into 24 pieces.  Enjoy!
This recipe is a classic Lemon Bar recipe from my trusty Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book that has been modified to lime and doubled.
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment