Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Simplicity

I have found that with all the foodie blogs out there I find myself trying to compete with all the fancy ingredients, impressive techniques, and amazing descriptive stories.  I usually fall flat on my goals.  I don't have a lot of fancy ingredients in my house, I don't use impressive techniques, and sometimes there is no story to go along with the recipe.  With the cost of living these days I have become more creative with my cooking.  I realized today that we have lost the simplicity of cooking with all the new recipes and twists and turns that are now being taken with food on its way to the table.  Tonight's dinner was simple, refreshing, and basic. 
I fed my family of 5 for $10.94 with leftovers. 

1 Whole Chicken - $4.50
1 Tomato, Garlic and Basil Grill Mates Marinade - $0.98
2 lbs Broccoli Crowns - $1.60
1 Small Seedless Watermelon - $2.98
1 Cantaloupe - $0.88

I mixed the marinade according to package directions with 1/4 C. water, 1/4 C. oil (I used Olive Oil) and 2 T. Vinegar (I used white vinegar).  I poured it over a whole chicken.

I covered the chicken with foil, baked at 350* for 1 hour, and then uncovered it and baked for another 20 minutes.  I steamed the broccoli, chopped the fruit and dinner was done!
Here's hoping you get back to some basics in your kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment