Monday, June 18, 2012

Biscuits and Gravy

Today was such a hot day.  I suppose that may have something to do with the fact that I dragged my body out to the swimming pool and let the kids swim this afternoon.  My car thermostat said 104*.  This did not sound like the type of weather I wanted to cook dinner in - but to be honest with you after getting a Slurpee and coming into my air conditioned house I caught a second wind.  Also I had already defrosted the sausage so I felt somewhat committed to the plan.  Also I knew that grilling today was out of the question since just the other day after trying to grill, and hooking up 5 different propane tanks to my grill, it was clear that there was no propane at my house and grilling was not going to happen.  So tonight I made biscuits and gravy.  The first thing I did was make my homemade biscuits you may remember this recipe for biscuit bites - with the cinnamon sugar - don't put that on these - just make my basic biscuit recipe and cook them up like you do a regular biscuit.  Once I put the biscuits in the over I made the gravy.  It takes about as long to make the gravy as it does to bake the biscuits so the timing is perfect. 

Take 1 lb sausage and brown with onion, garlic, salt and pepper
Leave the sausage grease in the pan - this will be absorbed by the flour and add the necessary oil to the gravy.  Add about 1/2 C. Flour.
Stir that up - it will kind of pull together in a ball.  Let it cook for about a minute in the pot before adding any liquid.
Add milk to your pot.  This is no exact science...just fill the pot up.
Stir the meat into the milk and bring to a boil.  This will thicken up into a nice sausage gravy.
And you are done!  Most likely those biscuits are ready to be pulled out of the oven and the
biscuits and gravy are ready to serve!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment