Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Shrimp Stew

This is one of those nostalgic recipes for me that brings my mind back to memories of home, my mom and dad, and dinner around the table with my family.  This Shrimp Stew recipe is not a favorite among my children, but my husband and I like it and I do crave the taste and the memories from time to time.  About 50 years ago my Dad was stationed in Taiwan while he was serving in the Air Force.  He and my mom went out to dinner one evening and this is what they had.  They liked it so much the asked the chef for the recipe.  My mom still has that original piece of paper with the chef's handwriting in broken English.  I am glad they asked for this recipe, it is something I had never seen them do in my life, but at this little restaurant in Taiwan they did. 

Shrimp Stew

12 oz bag of small cooked shrimp
 (or whatever type of shrimp you like best)
1 Big Chopped Onion
2 Chopped Green Peppers
1/4 C. Corn Starch
1/2 C. Ketchup
1/4 C. Vegetable Oil
4 C. Chicken Stock (or water if you prefer)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Chop Onions and Green Peppers into equal sized pieces
Put vegetable oil into a large skillet and heat up. 
Add onion and peppr and cook until a tender crisp
Add shrimp.  I put mine in frozen, but defrosted would be fine also
Combine Chicken Stock, Cornstarch, Ketchup, Salt and Pepper.
Pour into skillet with Shrimp and Veggies
Bring to a boil and cook until Shrimp is hot and sauce is thick
Serve over rice

Let me know what you think!


No comments:

Post a Comment