Friday, April 6, 2012

White Chicken Chili

Let me outline my day for you today.  I did not sleep well last night and needed to get up early for a work meeting....which went very well by the way.  After the meeting I did some grocery shopping and decided I wanted to make White Chicken Chili for dinner.  I came home, sat out some lunch meat, sandwich buns, lettuce, tomato, cheese, chips, etc. and told everyone to make their own deli sandwich while I started to put dinner into the crock pot.  I have made this recipe many times, but never in the crock pot.  I decided to cook it this way because today is the day the girls and I are going to clean out the garage, and I knew I would not be in the mood to make dinner once that was done.  It worked well in the crock pot and I will probably do it again.  There are many ways people make White Chicken Chili, just like traditional chili, everyone has their own way they like it...and this is mine!

White Chicken Chili

1 pkg. Chicken Breast Tenderloins
2 cans (14.5 oz) Chicken Broth
2 cans (15 oz) Great Northern Beans
2 cans (15 oz) Navy Beans
2 cans (15 oz) White Kidney Beans
2 cans (15 oz) Sweet Corn .. OR .. White Corn
1 (7 oz) can Chopped Green Chilies
salt and pepper
cornstarch

Clean and dice the Chicken Breast Tenderloins
Drain the juices out of the beans and corn.
They don't have to be completely drained, just mostly drained.
Dump all the diced chicken, beans, corn, green chilies and chicken broth into the crock pot and give it a stir.
Turn the crock pot on high for about 4 or 4 1/2 hours.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Make a slurry of cornstarch and water to thicken up the Chili. 
 Stir it in and cook for another 15 minutes, then ENJOY!

This could not have been any easier on a busy day.  It tastes delicious.  This is the first time I have used sweet yellow corn.  I will admit that I prefer the white corn in this recipe and will not be using the sweet yellow corn in the future.  If you don't want to use a crock pot then you can lightly cook the chicken in the bottom of a large stock pot with a little olive oil, and then add everything and cook it in the pot.  You can also add garlic, onion, or whatever else you want. 

Let me know what you think!



No comments:

Post a Comment