Friday, March 9, 2012

Tex-Mex Casserole

I am big on casseroles.  I love the one pot meal, the fix and forget it meal. the combination of flavors you can create by throwing it all in together.  I married a meat and potatoes man. I would not say I have converted him, but he is happy with some of the casseroles I make.  This is one that he enjoys.  The kids eat this pretty well....one will eat it completely, one scrapes off the top and mostly eats the beans, and one eats basically the middle layer....but they are eating it and I feel no guilt if they go hungry because they are picky.  I made this for a family reunion a couple of summers ago.  I made 2 pans just regular and one pan I made without the diced tomatoes and green chilies on top.  That really is the only "hot" part of this recipe and if you don't like heat you can leave it off.  I sprinkled paprika on top for some color on that one pan.  It was good without that little burst of heat, but sometimes I am in the mood for a little heat.  Here is the recipe:

Tex-Mex Casserole

1 lb ground beef
2 T. Minced Garlic
1/4 C. Dehydrated Onion
(or one small fresh onion)
8-9 Flour Tortillas
1 (15 oz) can Ranch Style Beans
8 oz Grated Marble Jack Cheese
1 (10.5 oz) can Cream of Chicken Soup
1 (10 oz) can Rotel Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies
(I use the original, but you could buy mild, or Jalapeno -
Whatever you like)

Brown your ground beef with the garlic and onion.
While the meat is cooking open your Rotel Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies.  You will want to drain the juice out of them.  I have a really neat can strainer that I put on top of the can and just turn the can upside down in the sink and let it drain until I need it. - You can drain yours any way you want.  The more liquid you leave in the tomatoes the hotter your casserole will be.
Now back to the Ground Beef.....
 Drain the fat and place into the bottom of an ungreased 9x13 pan....
Cut your Flour Tortillas in half. 
Use half of the tortillas to cover the meat....
Cover the tortillas with Ranch Style Beans (do not drain)

Cover with the cheese....
Cover with the remaining tortillas......
Cover with the Cream of Chicken Soup.....
Cover with the drained Rotel Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies....
Cover your casserole with foil and bake at 350* for 45 minutes.
Looks delicious...right?

Let me know what you think....I love comments!






No comments:

Post a Comment