Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Maple Syrup

Do you make your own syrup?  For the first half of our marriage I used store bought syrup.  I figured it was not very expensive, and frankly I really didn't care for the flavor or consistency of homemade syrup.  I liked the thick syrup from the store.  Well, about 10 or more years ago I stumbled across a homemade recipe that was thick and full of flavor and it was so much better than the store bought variety. 
 Now my family complains when I buy syrup...
they would much rather have my homemade syrup these days.
This morning my syrup bottle looked like this....
I will admit that I buy a bottle of syrup and use it only to get the bottle.  And then I use that bottle until it has no life left in it anymore and I repeat the process.  So, this is my empty syrup bottle.  Time to fill it.  Here is my best recipe for Maple Syrup.

Maple Syrup
1 C. White Corn Suryp
1 C. Brown Sugar
1 C. White Sugar
1 C. Water
1/4 C. Salt
1 tsp. Maple Flavoring

Combine the first 5 ingredients
Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes
At the end of 5 minutes you will see the sugar has changed color and is a little darker
Remove from heat and stir in Maple Flavoring
This is excellent served hot over pancakes, waffles, or French Toast
Let the syrup cool a little and then pour it into your container
Leave the lid off until the syrup is completely cooled.


What do you do for Maple Syrup?

No comments:

Post a Comment