Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Toffee Bars

I need to go grocery shopping.  The kids open the cabinets and I can count on hearing "There's nothing to eat"  The reality is as long as I still have things I can cook for dinner I am not very motivated to go shopping.  The girls are out at church activities tonight.  You can bet that they will be hungry when they get home so I decided to try a new recipe from my old Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book.  It's not bad.  If the girls like it I would make it again.  The nice thing is from start to finish this took 45 minutes.  That's something I do like!  It has a few steps but none of them are very hard.
 
 
First combine 1/2 C. Butter or Margarine, 1/2 C. Sugar,
1/4 tsp. Salt and 1 C. Flour
Press into the bottom of an ungreased 9x13 pan
Bake at 350 * for about 10 minutes
Honestly I didn't time the crust. 
When my toffee layer was done I took it out.
For the Toffee - in a heavy sauce pan combine 1 can (14 oz) Sweetened Condensed milk and 2 T. Butter or margarine.  Stir constantly.  Bring to the point of bubbling and cook for 5 minutes.  I started out with a spatula but found that a whisk worked better for this process.  Once 5 minutes is up it will be thick and smooth.  Stir in 2 tsp. Vanilla
I used an offset spatula and spread the toffee mix over the crust
Put back into the oven and bake 350* for 15 minutes
While it is baking make your frosting.  Now I didn't think the recipe looked like enough frosting so I doubled it.  In hind sight I would have had enough but hey...I am not going to complain about too much chocolaty frosting.  I will give you the recipe for a single batch. 
Combine 1 square unsweetened chocolate with 2 T. Butter or Margarine in a heavy sauce pan.  Stir occasionally until melted together.  Add 1 tsp. Vanilla, 1 1/2 C. Powdered Sugar and 1 T. Hot water.  Mix well.
Take the finished toffee out of the oven and spread
the chocolate frosting on top
Immediately cut into bars.  I actually took a bar out while it was still hot with no problem.  These are soft on the bottom with the crust, chewy in the center getting more firm as it cools and chocolaty on the top.  All in all I would say not a bad treat for the girls when they get home!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment