Thursday, July 12, 2012

Taco Quiche

This recipe is my personal creation.  I came up with it while trying to enter the Pillsbury Bake Off contest.  I have yet to be selected...but I love to try.  It would be my all time cooking accomplishment to get to go to the Pillsbury Bake Off as a contestant. Even though Pillsbury didn't want my Taco Quiche my family does.  It is a really good recipe that I think you will also enjoy.  I start with a box of pre made pie crust.  It comes with 2 crusts inside.  Let's face it....you could make your own crust, but for me I don't really like pie crust.  I much prefer what is inside the crust, so that is where I focus my energy and attention. I don't like a lot of edge on the crust so I fold it down short .
In a mixing bowl I crack 8 eggs
Add a small (4 oz) can of diced green chilies
And grate 8 oz of your favorite cheese - I like Colby Jack
Mix it all up with a fork
Brown 1 lb of ground beef, drain off the fat, and add your favorite taco seasoning according to package directions.  I buy my taco seasoning in bulk so I added 1 1/2 T. seasoning and 1/2 C water.
At this point I quickly stir my hot taco meat into my egg mixture.  Yes I know the meat is hot.  No I do not temper my eggs.  It's just going to cook anyway so I don't mind if that hot meat starts cooking the eggs.....so stir it into the egg mixture quickly
and pour half into each pie crust.
Bake at 375* for 40 minutes - until eggs are set. 
While it is baking prepare some toppings.  Today I used black olives, tomato, green onion, sour cream, salsa.....
you can use whatever you like on your tacos.
When the quiche is done it looks like this...
And with some toppings it looks like this...
This recipe is exactly how I like to cook.  Fast, simple, not too expensive, but tastes great.  I hope you give this one a try.  Even if you are a smaller sized family it is worth it because the leftovers heat up like a dream and you could even freeze one of them for another day!


No comments:

Post a Comment