Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Sugar Cookies

Last night my daughter "reminded" me that she needed cookies for a Church activity tonight.  To be honest, I don't recall the orginal conversation, but that really is no surprise to me. I seem to have developed selective hearing.  I am surprised however that I  selectively tuned out a conversation about food.  No worries.  I do cookies really well.  These were a lot easier to figure out than the "surprise" fiesta my older daughter needs authentic mexican food for tomorrow.  Anyway...back to the cookies.  I mixed the dough last night
 and by 9:30 this morning I had these.....


Here is my favorite Sugar Cookie Recipe. 
 It is from my trusty Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book.

Sugar Cookies

1/3 C. Margarine or Butter softened
1/3 C. Shortening
2 C. Flour
1 Egg
3/4 C. Sugar
1 T. Milk
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Vanilla
Dash Salt (about 1/8 tsp.)

Blend together butter and shortening.  Add the egg and the sugar and mix.  Add the milk, vanilla, salt, and baking powder and mix.  Add the flour and mix well.  Put in the fridge for at least 2 hours, or overnight.  Take the chilled dough and roll 1/3 inch - 1/2 inch thick.  Cut with cookie cutter and place on ungreased cookie sheet.  Sprinkle with colored sugar sprinkles. Bake 375* 8-10 minutes - until edges are lightly browned.  Makes about 15 large cookies.

As you can see from the picture that I roll my sugar cookie dough thick.  This makes a big soft cookie. I have rolled it thinner before but I honestly think it changes the flavor of the cookie. These thick big sugar cookies with sprinkles instead of frosting are my favorite way to eat these.

Hope you like them ~ let me know what you think!



No comments:

Post a Comment