Saturday, December 31, 2011

Biscuit Bites


I really do enjoy Biscuits.  Not the biscuit you "pop" from a can...but fresh, soft, pillowy, homemade biscuits.  I occasionally experiment with biscuit dough, and have created some really yummy things over the years.  When I woke up this morning I was in the mood to cook, and thought of these little (big) biscuit bites that I made for the first time several years ago.  You can use your favorite biscuit recipe, but the one I use is from my Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book, and that is the recipe I will be sharing in this post today.

First I preheat my oven to 450*. Then I take one stick of butter (1/2 C.) and put that into my mixing bowl, and soften it in the microwave.
  Don't melt your butter, just soften it. 
 Next I put all my dry ingredients into an old sifter.....
I know this is old fashioned, but trust me, this will help your biscuit immensely.  I truly believe sifting your dry ingredients help make the biscuit lighter, and softer.  (By the way, I only use this sifter when making biscuits, I am too lazy to shift for other recipes)  Anyway, back to the recipe.  Into the sifter I put 2 C. Flour, 1 T. Baking Powder, 2 tsp. Sugar, 1/2 tsp. Cream of Tarter, 1/4 tsp. Salt.  I sift that on top of the butter and then pour 2/3 C. cold milk over the top.  Using a fork I mix the dough.  Now this is where some people can go wrong.  You do not want to over mix your biscuits, or they will be heavy and hard.  Just mix to combine the ingredients.  In fact I mix until they are almost combined and then I use my hands to gently combine the dough to finish it up.   Now that is my  basic Biscuit recipe.  From here you can make them into anything you want.  Today I wanted Biscuit Bites. I used a cookie scoop and dropped balls of dough into cinnamon sugar.
And placed them on an ungreased cookie sheet
And baked them for 10 minutes in that preheated 450* oven.
 They looked like this when they came out....
You should be able to get 18-24 of these yummy bites out of your recipe depending on how big you make them.  These little balls of carbs were just what I was wanting this morning.  They were so soft and pillowy, and the cinnamon sugar gave them a sweet little crunch on the outside. 



Le me know what you think of this recipe and if you tried it!

No comments:

Post a Comment