Saturday, December 24, 2011

Zucchini Bread



 My family likes loves Zucchini Bread. It is most often consumed as a breakfast here in our home. I have to make 2 loaves at a time just to feed the 5 of us.  Did I mention we love it? Well, I know how this may sound, but I really like my Zucchini Bread.  It is not uncommon for us to have an abundance of zucchini in the summer time, so if this is the case for you, then here is what you can do to preserve your zucchini for bread:

Clean the outside of your Zucchini
Cut the Zucchini in half length wise
Scoop out and discard all the seeds
Grate Zucchini into a large bowl
Scoop 2 C. of Zucchini into an air tight Zipper Lock Bag
Freeze until ready to use

When I use my zucchini I let it defrost in my mixing bowl. It will become very juicy.  Don't drain it. These juices are important to keep in your bread. The basic recipe I use is one that I got from a Better Homes and Gardens cook book years ago, however I made some changes so even if you were to bake their recipe it would not taste like mine.  Lucky for you I am going to let you in on the secret:

Zucchini Bread 

2 C. Grated Zucchini
3 C. Flour
2 C. Sugar
2 tsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Nutrmeg
1/2 C. Vegetable Oil
2 Eggs
1 tsp. Lemon Juice

Measure all your ingredients into your mixing bowl and blend with your mixer.  Be sure to scrape the sides of your bowl with a spatula because there is nothing worse than a chunk of powdery flour in the middle of your piece of bread!  Grease the bottom and half way up the sides of two 8 inch loaf pans. Bake at 350* for about an hour....check to be sure they are done!
Let the bread stand in the pan for 10 minutes before removing them. Be sure to run your knife around the edges of the pan to keep the bread from sticking before you turn them out onto a cooling rack.


We do not like nuts in our bread, but you sure could add a cup of nuts if you want them in yours!

Let me know if you try this recipe and what you think of it!


No comments:

Post a Comment