Sunday, August 19, 2012

Southwest Chicken

I put together a recipe today that just sounded good...and it was.  I have no leftovers! If this has been made before I am not aware of it, so I will just say that I came up with this one myself.  I was going to put it in the crock pot but decided that with the length of time we were going to be gone that it was too long - even on low.  But that was not a problem.  This is definitely one of those speedy suppers that can be done in a flash.  I have a rice cooker and in the length of time it took me to cook the rice the meal was done.  This meal can have so many variations....you can serve it on mashed potatoes instead of rice, you can serve it on crispy fried potatoes - that would add a great texture.  You could mix the rice right into the chicken mixture and bake it in a casserole dish covered in cheese.  You can combine the rice and chicken and wrap it into a tortilla for a Southwest Chicken Burrito...
that one sounds good to me!  Anyway - use your imagination -
this is one you will want to try!

Southwest Chicken

1 can Black Beans
1 can Ranch Style Beans
1 can Corn
1 small can Green Chilies
1 pkg. Taco Seasoning
1 pkg. Chicken Breast Tenders - diced
Rice

I started my rice first - it takes the longest..but if you are using instant rice then you can wait until the chicken is simmering.  Put all ingredients into a large sauce pan.  Don't drain the liquid from your cans - just dump it all into the pan!

Black Beans
Ranch Style Beans
Corn
Green Chilies
Taco Seasoning
Chicken
Stir it all together and bring to a simmer. 
 Cook until chicken is no longer pink. 
This should only take as long as your rice -
 about 20 minutes start to finish!
Serve over cooked rice.
(or serve another way as mentioned above)
I added some Mozzarella Cheese, Salsa and Sour Cream to mine.
This was sooo good .. and as I said, it disappeared at my house!


No comments:

Post a Comment